Sunday 2 October 2011

Work Experience = Cool

So I just finished my first day of work experience. I was fortunate to be able to hook up with a local company called Glacier Industries. There is the owner, a receptionist and 3 journeymen working pretty much full time. They do residential and commercial installations and service work.

My first day out I went with Jason who actually took the HVAC/R course in 2006-07. He just finished writing his red seal certification in January. He was very informative and made me do most of the physical work which was good experience and showed me what I need to practice next week in my tools class. I was able to do the brazing (high temp soldering) but I'm overheating the copper pipe, so I'll work on that.

We did a repair job in Nanoose which was basically switching out a defective component on an infloor heating system. Even though it was just replacing a part, Jason is very thorough and had to figure out the whole system before we could be sure of what needed to be replaced. Now I know why we are spending so much time in class learning how to properly read wiring diagrams.

Then we went to Qualicum bay and install a new condensor on a walk-in cooler. It was very educational because we had to completely evacuate the refrigerant  to be able to plumb in the new condensor so we went through the whole process of emptying and refilling the system which isn't as easy as it sounds.

Once everything was set up we actually had to wait for some time for the system to cool down again and stabilize to make sure it was working properly. It is quite interesting watching the gages and  instruments as everything works towards a balance again. I'm really looking forward to my next Friday ride along.

That's about it for now. I will keep you up to date as things progress.

Talk to you soon,
Rob

No comments:

Post a Comment